Improving Care Through Better Communication
When a person moves to a nursing home or another type of care facility, he or she is not only leaving behind a home, but often times neighbors, friends, and independence. They may suffer from physical or cognitive deficits that can lead to feelings of isolation or sadness and suddenly find themselves surrounded by unfamiliar people.
The Life Story Board gives a voice to those people who have difficulty speaking for themselves. It allows caregivers to better know the unique person for whom they are caring. The Life Story Board is an easily accessible visual biography that helps caregivers to establish deeper personal connections with their patients, enhancing the caregiving experience for all.
Benefits to Patients and Their Families
• Eases the transition into an assisted living or skilled nursing facility
• Gives residents and families comfort
• Provides conversation topics and improves interaction
• Reminds individuals of positive life experiences
• Creates multiple daily opportunities for emotional connections.
• Improves residents’ overall quality of care and life
• Promotes feelings of self-worth.
Benefits to Caregivers and Nursing Homes
• Enhances relationships between caregivers and residents
• Demonstrates personalized care to governing agencies
• Fosters individualized communication and care
• Creates a home-like setting and enhances room décor
• Improves job satisfaction for employees and decreases turnover
• Enables floating or transitional staff to connect with residents.
The 16”x20” Life Story Board is beautifully framed and reflects a person’s life history and essence. The information is presented in a clear, accessible way, making it an effective aid for communicating with the frail, elderly or disabled. The Life Story Board is a wonderful way to provide individuals with the personalized care and communication they deserve. It is a way to reminisce about, reflect upon, and celebrate a life well-lived. We would be honored to create a Life Story Board for your loved one.
Creating Your Life Story Board
Here are three samples of Life Story Boards to refer to if you need help while filling out your order form. Click the Life Story Board samples below to see each section; this may help to give you an idea of what type of information to include when creating your Life Story Board. Of course, your information will be unique to your loved one but the essence of the Life Story Board will be similar. Enjoy the process and refer back to the examples for guidance as needed.
When you order a Life Story Board, your loved one’s information is offset by your choice of a beautiful, timeless frame. All of our frames are made in the USA and are eco-friendly. We use styrene instead of glass, which is a type of flexible thermoplastic that:
• Is more shatter resistant than glass;
• Is half the weight of glass;
• Provides better moisture protection;
• Is safe for display near people suffering with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia;
• Should only be cleaned with water and a soft cloth; and
• Is not UV resistant and should not be placed in direct sunlight.